Thanks for wondering about who I am! I get a lot of that.
I admit it… I’m a law and regulatory policy wonk. I love how the first controls the second, and the second controls the first.
I’m also an/the instructor in your class, and I’ll gladly admit that teaching is one of my greatest joys.
Now I’ll switch to the third person, having already used up two previous personalities.
And now on to the main show…
Dr. Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq. has more than 35 years of wireless, broadband, cable television and telephony sectors advising private, institutional and government clients.
Dr. Kramer is a telecommunications law and regulatory policy leader. He served as the co-chair of the FCC-recognized committee that developed the analog technical standards and regulation of cable television systems. Kramer has been a testifying expert witness in somewhere north of 40 federal and state court cases regarding wireless and cable television technology. Additionally, he served as the advisor to the League of California Cities during the key negotiations and hearing regarding SB 1627, California’s wireless co-location law.
Dr. Kramer is also the co-author and editor of articles in federal government publications on radio frequency interference matters and wireless technology.
Admitted to practice by the State Bar of California and the State Bar of New Mexico, Jonathan is also admitted to practice before:
- The United States District Court for the Central District of California;
- The United States District Court for the District of New Mexico;
- The United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit;
- The United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit; and
- The Supreme Court of the United States.
Kramer holds five (or is it 6?) Federal Communications Commission licenses and endorsements, as well as a California Contractor’s State License Board C7 communications contractors license (currently inactive).
Being bored during the pandemic, he also studied for and passed the California Department of Real Estate Broker license examination, then opened a real estate property management and brokerage firm to help landlords deal with their wireless lease tenants.
He has taught graduate-level classes at the university level at Northeastern University, Yale University, the University of Southern California, and other schools he’s already forgotten. As you’ve figured out, he’s currently teaching graduate-level classes at Northeastern University.
- Northeastern University – Doctor of Law and Policy (LP.D)
- Doctor of Law and Policy
- University of Strathclyde School of Law (LL.M)
- Master of Laws degree in Information Technology and Telecom Law with distinction
- Abraham Lincoln University School of Law (JD)
- Juris Doctor degree cum laude
- Los Angeles Trade Technical College (AS)
- Associate of Science in Radio Communications with honors
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar of New Mexico, Member
- Bar of the Central District of California, Member
- Advisory Council of Abraham Lincoln University School of Law
- American Radio Relay League, Life Member
- Volunteer Counsel, Volunteer Examiner
- California Wireless Association, Charter Member
- Federal Communications Bar Association – National Organization, Attorney Member
- Federal Communications Bar Association – Southern California Chapter, Founding Member
- International Municipal Lawyers Association, Attorney Member
- International Right of Way Association Wireless Committee, Former Chairperson
- Joint Task Force on Technical Standards Committee, Former Co-Chair
- National Technical Standards Committee, Former Co-Chair
- New Mexico Municipal League, City Attorney’s Section, Attorney Member
- State Bar of California Public Law Section
- Appointed Advisor to Executive Committee Board Member
- Former Executive Committee Board Member
- National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
- Former National Director
- States of California and Nevada Chapter, National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
- Founding Member
- Past (and now apparently a future) member of the Board of Directors
- Former President
- Society of Broadcast Engineers, Senior Member
- Society of Telecommunications Engineers (US Society), Senior Member – Emeritus (that means I’m old and have been in the SCTE for a very long time)
- Society of Telecommunication Engineers (UK Society), Fellow Member
Certifications & Licenses
- Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials
- Public Safety Radio Technician
- California Contractors State License, Class C7 – Low voltage systems
- California Department of Real Estate Broker License
- Federal Communications Commission
- Amateur radio operator license
- General radiotelephone operator license
- Global maritime distress and safety system maintainers license
- Global maritime distress and safety system operator/maintainers license
- Restricted radiotelephone operator permit
- National Institutes of Health, Protecting Human Research Participants Training Certification
- Society of Broadcast Engineers
- Certified Broadcast Technologist
Honors & Awards
- Elected Member, Loyal Order of the 704; Membership is limited to those with more than 30 years in broadband engineering field
- Volunteer Counsel, American Radio Relay League
- Volunteer Examiner, American Radio Relay League
- Twice-awarded Member of the Year, National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
Dr. Kramer’s CV
For Jonathan Kramer’s excessively long CV, current as of sometime in June 2021, please review this PDF: Kramer Excessively Long CV – June 2021.
Page updated: June 22, 2021